Monday, July 20, 2015

Building Frostgrave: Week 6



The Devil is in the Details:  I began working on the details for the buildings.  I carved about 12 chimney's worth of bricks into the buildings.  Some buildings were so long I decided that they needed two chimneys.  Man that was dumb on my part!  At least they look good.


I then started to add balsa wood posts onto the buildings as well as doors.  For the windows I used a square punch on some old cereal boxes and used an X-acto knife to carefully carve out the shutters.  Then I got a big purchase in the mail.  I should really say it was a heavy purchase.  I ordered about 12 pounds of DAS modeling clay to use as the thatched roofing for the buildings.


That is what 12 pounds looks like.  Sorry, Mr. Mailman for having to lug that all around!  I added the modeling clay to the test building.  I used a toy wooden roller my girls weren't using and spread out a chunk of the clay.  I laid it on the roof and using an old tooth brush I pushed into the clay creating a thatched roof look.


I think it looks pretty good.  However next time I am going to layer on the modeling clay in strips to make the thatched roof look more convincing.  The next day when the roof was dry I took it out back and hit it up with a dark brown spray paint.  I used my airbrush to paint the roof and the exterior walls and then with a trusty brush painted the wooden posts and the door.



Yes, I think this will work!  The rest of the week I spent adding balsa wood to some of my buildings.  Finally, my action shot:



No comments:

Post a Comment