Monday, July 20, 2015

Building Frostgrave: Week 3


Day 1 - Paint it Black...and then brown:  After a lot of carving I finally finished etching the cobblestone.  I then applied the watered down black paint to the last two board sections and I felt that it was looking pretty good.  I painted everything else brown to hide any pink foam from peaking through later on.


Day 2:The next step was to add sand to the board.  I decided to coat all the brown sections in sand, even though I fully knew I would cover it with snow later.  I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.  My daughter Olivia helped my add glue to the board and sand it too.  She was a big help!


Day 3: Once the glue had fully dried I watered down some brown paint and went over the sandy sections.  Then it was hurry up and wait until the next day!


Day 4: It was time to dry brush the sand.  Again, I figured it may be pointless to dry brush the entire board, but if some snow didn't cover an area I missed it was going to be more difficult to touch it up later.  Then I mixed white glue with some baking powder and made a nice snow concoction.  I spread it over the board leaving the edges of the cobblestone free of snow so you could see a bit of the earth.


After I applied it I started feeling colder just looking at it.  I applied the snow mixture to the top of the stone walls of the staircase and a bit of snow to the cobblestone walkway to make it look like areas where wagons passed by on the wider roads.  Lastly I started working on the wall system that separates the lower section from the upper section.  I didn't want a continuous wall as it would divide game play and create too many bottlenecks, so I decided that the wall would be a bit run down.


I felt that week three saw a lot of visible progress and worst case scenario, I have a playable board!  With June almost over I was feeling like I was in good shape.  Now to focus on the terrain pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment