Monday, July 20, 2015

Building Frostgrave: Week 5


No Chimneys?  I never realized it but in Skyrim's city of Whiterun, the buildings I was modeling everything after didn't have chimneys!  It must be fairly warm with that dragon flying around I suppose.  An old building without a chimney just didn't feel right to me so I went to work carving them out.  I used the insulation foam to measure the width and height of each chimney and then carved in a "v" shape so that I could squeeze them onto my building.


I would then spend the next couple of weeks meticulously carving the brick work into each one.  I apparently didn't learn my lesson when I carved in the cobblestone paths.

Companion Hall:  One of the side quests in Skyrim was to join the companion guild.  Their building was even located in my zone on the board.  The problem was that the building was oval shaped!  I had to cut little grooves into the foamboard so that I could get it to bend without snapping off.


Once I had four sides completed I attached them together with the other supports to create the basic building shape for my companion hall.


With similar cutting I added the foamboard ceiling and using some cardboard cereal boxes I was able to cover the end pieces.  I spakled the building to cover up the cuts where the building curved and now I have the shell for my companion hall.


Homes: While I was working on the companion hall I was also constructing more houses as well.  This time focusing on the market place from Whiterun.  By the end of week five, the entire board began to look like this:


Ah, progress.  This place is starting to look like an actual medieval town!  And lastly, my action shot.





No comments:

Post a Comment