Monday, July 20, 2015

Building Frostgrave: Week 1


Forward:  The following series of posts have already been completed up to week 7.  My friends were complaining that all the pictures I was taking was crashing their data plans so I should place it in blog format.  So to humor them, I am rewriting/reposting what they have seen.  Of course from week 7 onward is all up in the air as that is where I am currently at in real time.  Enjoy!

Frostgrave: Awhile ago, my friends James and Brennan sent me a link to a new medieval skirmish game called Frostgrave that was soon to come out.  I had always enjoyed Mordhiem, but this new game was focused around a wizard and his party.  Normally wizards had always been supporting characters, so this intrigued and I preorded the rules.  Then I thought about the terrain that I had for a medieval game settings and knew that if I wanted to truly get into this game, I was going to have to step up my supply of buildings.  The one ruin, few hills, and scattering of trees I had for a medieval setting was just not going to cut it.  Besides, this was a frozen city.  I was going to need a new board as well.  I don't normally play in the snow!

Skyrim - The not so frozen city: Now that I had committed myself to creating some terrain I needed some inspiration.  I had/still am a big fan of Skyrim.  The world was fun and I really enjoyed playing it for countless hours at night.  So I went through the major cities in the game and decided that the first major city in the game we play out of would be a good inspirational point for a game.  Whiterun it was.


I cropped the map of Whiterun to get a sense of what a 4'x4' board would look like.  Then it was off to the store.


I layered the pink foam insulation so that there was a notable rise in the different sections of the board.  Nothing too high as I didn't want miniatures to fall over.  I then began to carve out the layout onto the pink foam using a pen.  I added some extra roads as in the future I would like to be able to rotating each 2'x2' board section to get a different layout.

Finally, it was on to carving out the cobblestone streets.  Wow, I didn't realize how long it was actually going to take to do this!  After one hour, here was my progress:

Yup, it was a sad little road for the amount of time I put into it.  Considering this began toward the beginning of June, this was going to be a long process.  Good thing I had 2 months before the book came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment