Monday, July 20, 2015

Building Frostgrave: Week 2


Cobblestone Madness: Week two continued with a lot more work carving out cobblestone.  After dumping countless hours into it I had a very big fear that once I added paint to the board, the paint would hide all my hard work.  I took out some black paint and watered it down to easily fill in the cracks around the cobblestones.


It took two coats of watered down black paint, but I was happy that it didn't washout the cobblestone.  
Adding Depth:  Carving each stone by hand was mind-numbingly boring and began to hurt my hand.  So I would take turns carving stone and then terraforming my board.  In the above picture you can see that I have a slopped hill.  I did this with other sections as well, including adding two staircases in different board sections.  In Whiterun (my inspiration from Skyrim) there are larger walkways leading to a more upper class section of the town. So I added in a much smaller stairwell to represent it.  I'm trying to keep playability in mind!


Rock and Roll:  In the upper section I decided to make it more rocky and less hilly.  I took out the hobby knife and started carving into it to create rock.  This was actually kind of fun, easy to do, and a bit therapeutic taking out any anger issues on the poor defenseless pink foam...


Finally, a look at what the board looks like at the end of week 2:



No comments:

Post a Comment