Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Real Story of Well of Sorrows


It was time for my third game in our mini campaign.  My little band of adventurers were down, but not out.  In terms of wizarding levels I was tied in last place being only level 3 with Ben, and he had scrapped his group and restarted after game one.  Sooooo yeah, read between the lines there...

I needed to shake up the warband a bit and even though I was low in the wizard level count, I had done a decent job of stashing money.  My wizard Krigast (thank you wizard name generator) was going to fire some of his hired cronies.  My barbarian had utterly failed two games in a row dying both times.  He was getting expensive to rehire.  So I placed my 100gc into a "dark" templar instead.  I also dropped a thug and picked up a treasure hunter.  I figure the speed and extra fight would help me out.  Lastly, one of my archers was coming back from an injury so I wouldn't be a man down.  Turns out the summoner I was about to face would put me a man down anyway with her summoning powers!

The game was set and ready to begin.  It was time to face James' Summoner.  Below my warband prepares to dash for treasure while Krigast my witch storms the well with his templar, thug, and archer in support.


 The summoner got the initiative this round and proceeded to bring forth a minor demon in the form of that really terrifying snowman.  His thief and knight quickly ran ahead to secure treasure and help defend the well.


   Krigast slowly and deliberately moved up with his entourage.  (He had been taken out the last two games.  He didn't want it to happen again!) He cast strength on his templar to beef up his fight.

Not to be outdone by her master, the summoner's apprentice raised an imp to secure a numerical advantage over my warband.  They quickly advanced under the shade of a tree encroaching some treasure chests. The archer then let loose an arrow causing five wounds to one of my thugs.


My lowly apprenticed advanced toward some treasure hidden among the barrels.  She ordered the thief to grab the treasure while she cast some fog to prevent the archer from causing any more trouble. (fog being represented by tissues.  I really need to make better looking fog!)


On the other side of the board, my newly hired treasure hunter was being put to good use.  He quickly scooted up and grabbed the treasure casually placed by the woodpile.  This was starting to look easy!


Did I say starting to look easy?  On the other side of the treasure hunter's house was a thief and a thug ready to cause some problems.  The thief got greedy and snagged the treasure while the thug looked to put the hurt on my treasure hunter who was just minding his own business!  The nerve of that guy.


The thug ran into contact with my treasure hunter, but ran out of activations to take a swing.  My crossbow lady ran as fast as she could to lend support to my treasure hunter.  However she would be an inch too short.  The treasure hunter was going to have to fight the thug on his own.  The dice were cast, and I was able to take out the thug in a single hit!  Thank goodness that thug was nursing a shoulder injury from last game!


Meanwhile, by the well of sorrows, the summoner quickly advanced to the well and took a nice deep drink.  You could almost hear the level up music in the background!  The summoner quickly moved her daemonic snowman between the well and potion shop preventing a direct charge at her and her apothecary.  A smart move blocking a direct path to her.


On the far left flank my thief was able to grab more treasure and scampered off the board uncontested!  Hopefully we would find something good in there later!


A show down for the well was about to take place.  Krigast ran to the well and took a drink from the refreshing water.  While he ducked down to pour water into his cup my crossbow woman took a shot over his head.  The bolt landed true felling the enemy archer in one shot!  This left the summoners apprentice exposed to my thug and archer next round if I could get the initiative!

Off  camera my templar and thug teamed up against the abominable snowman.  With the combination of my templar's +4 fight, the +2 from the spell strength, and +2 for an extra person in combat I was rolling with a might +8!  Needless to say I won the roll and adding my +2 bonus for a double handed weapon I gave him a nice warm hug!  No more snowman...


For the first time all game I was able to get the initiative.  The summoner had high tailed it and fled behind the old potion shop the turn before leaving her apprentice woefully exposed.  Krigast ordered his archer and thug into combat with the apprentice to take her down,  Unbeknownst to Krigast and my crew she must have been training in some form of martial arts!  She quickly dispatched both soldier in one hit each!

In a last ditch effort, the summoner cast a ball of lightning which struck every enemy model within 12" of her.  A few of my warband received the jitters from the shock, but everyone would be fine.  The last piece of treasure was taken off the board by the summoners lackeys and the game ended.


This was a good game for both James and myself.  We both were able to drink from the well and we each escaped with 3 treasure each.  I even leveled up a few times too!  Hopefully this will help me out when I face Alex next game.  He tabled me the last time we met.  And his wizard is currently the most powerful one of us all!

1 comment: