Friday, August 28, 2015

Campaign Night 1 Results

Night 1 wrapped with four of us playing Mausoleum as expected.  At the end of the night, the results were all over the place:


  • Alex/Elementalist: 500 XP
  • James/Summoner: 270 XP
  • Brendan/Witch: 170 XP
  • Ben/Witch: 70 XP

By the time we finished, everyone had a pretty good handle on how to play, so we'll work on picking bases for next week and get everyone leveled up before game 2.


Here are some highlights from the game Ben and I had.  It was BRUTAL.  The wandering monsters alone were a challenge, to say nothing of Ben's ability to crit six times in one game!


The warband moves into the underground ruins on turn 1, making its way toward the mausoleum's cache of treasure.  The apprentice commands three soldiers to move up.  On the right, the Summoner is dealing with darker things.

The Summoner manages to bring a minor demon onto the table, which proved to be one of the best things she did all night.  Neither she or the apprentice had managed to summon anything prior to the game.


Here we can see Ben's apprentice ordering a treasure hunter and some thugs to secure a treasure that was left near some unoccupied jail cells.

The minor demon finds its way into combat with Ben's wizard!  You'd think this would be a short combat, but the dice were not kind.   The Witch managed to tie the combat, push the demon back an inch and beat feet out of there while a wandering skeleton held up the demon.

The most horrific thing I saw all game was this damned, dirty bear.  How it got down into the catacombs in the first place is beyond me.  All I know is that it was ANGRY.  It's beginning to make its way toward the Summoner and her apprentice here, but with that much magic, surely they can stop it.  

Meanwhile, Ben's apprentice is playing the wandering monster game, too, as a giant worm emerges on the other side of the board.  It ties her up for a couple of turns until she manages to push it back in combat.  After she was able to back away, a nearby archer critted the worm and put it down.

My apprentice wasn't so lucky.  I had baited the bear with a throw-away hound so it wouldn't go after my casters, but Ben managed to crit the hound with an archer just before the creature phase began.  The bear also critted, effectively mauling my apprentice and taking her out of the game.

After that, I was getting low on models.  I was ahead in treasure tokens 2-to-1, but there were some juicy ones across the table (and far from bears!).  I cast Leap with the Summoner and put her near the treasures.  She was at risk of fighting a single skeleton at the time, but that's no big deal, right?  Turns out it was the most highly trained skeleton you ever did see.  It slayed the Summoner in one shot, dealing 20 damage on its crit. I've never seen so many natural 20's in my life.
I saved a little face when my ranger dispatched the feral death-bear in close combat with a crit of his own.  At this point, I was down to 1 model and Ben's wizard had recently mis-cast himself to death, so we called it a night and tallied the loot.  Ben made off with 1 normal treasure token and I got away with 1 normal and 2 of the special mausoleum tokens.  

My loot for the night was Boots of Speed, a couple of grimoires, and over 300 gc, so I'll be able to replace the infantryman that didn't survive the injury rolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment